STEP FOUR - Irish Draught Horse Studbook Registration (If Eligible)
Once your horse has been pre-registered and/or Irish Sport Horse Registered with IDSHS (Aust) Inc., he/she may be eligible to come forward for Irish Draught Studbook Registration.
For those who do not know whether your horse is eligible for inspection for the Irish Draught Studbook, the requirements are as follows:
- Horses must be pre-registered (Horse Identification) with IDSHS (Aust) Inc. Please see above for more information
- The horse must be Microchipped if not done so at time of pre-registration
- The owner must be a financial member of the Society. Please go to our Membership page for more information.
- Irish Draught Studbook horses must be presented with feet in a natural state - hoof black must NOT be applied to hooves - and feathers on the legs are not to be removed.
- A veterinary soundness examination report must be filled out prior to inspection. The examination is at the owner’s expense. The original report is to be sent to the Registrar. Please email the Registrar for the Veterinary examination form. Registrar.firstname.lastname@example.org
- The horse must be the progeny of:
- Registered Irish Draught (RID) parents.
- A Registered Irish Draught stallion (RID) or mare, and a Thoroughbred stallion or mare of provable breeding (ASB registered, ASB verified, ASB passport etc.).
- A Registered SID or AID mare (Irish Draught Studbook Approved) and a Registered Irish Draught (RID) stallion.
8. Colts will only be inspected if both parents are RID.
9. Horses must be a minimum of three years of age.
10. ALL horses must be DNA parentage verified. DNA verification costs can be from $80 up to $240 per horse and costs are dependent upon DNA profiles on record with the Society.
11. If your horse is inspected, passes and is registered in the Irish Draught Studbook Register, he/she may be branded with the Society’s shamrock flank brand and bar underneath.
- Purebred colts and stallions that fail RID inspection for the Irish Draught Horse Stud Book are ineligible for any registration with IDSHS (Aust) Inc.
- Mares and fillies that fail inspection for the Irish Draught Horse Stud Book remain on the Irish Sport Horse Register
- Older Irish Draught Stud Book mares graded D, C or B on their Registration Papers are classed as Supplementary Irish Draught (SID) This includes ½ bred RID x TB and ¾ bred RID x SID cross mares